Chances are, you hardly ever think about the roof on your house—at least not until something goes wrong with it. But think about all your roof does for you, your home and your family! It shelters you from wicked winter weather, crazy spring storms and sweltering summer heat. Here in Northern Virginia, roof repair services are important, as are roofing replacement services. Since the average age of homes in Northern Virginia (42 years) exceeds the number of years that the average roof need to be replaced (every 25 years or so), you should check if your roof is showing any signs of wear and tear that could cost you big time if you don’t act proactively to engage roof repair or roofing replacement services soon.
You may need Roof Repair or Roofing Replacement Services if:
- Shingles are missing or flapping loose—We’ve had some pretty hairy winter storms this year; and the weather is always a big, crazy question mark here in Northern Virginia. Roofing replacement or roof repair services are necessary if you notice missing or loose shingles. Check after each significant storm and especially after the winter subsides.
- Granule erosion—Every spring when you clean out your gutters, make note of whether there seems to be a lot of granules from your shingles in the debris. The granules will match the color of your roofing material and seeing a lot of them in your gutters or downspouts is a sign that your roof is asking for a roofing replacement project.
- Water stains on the decking—Periodically go into your attic and see if you can access the underside of the roof decking. Any water stains here, or anywhere in the attic are a sign of water getting underneath the shingles somewhere. If so, engage our affordable roof repair services right away.
- Buckling and shingle pops—Hail, summer heat, inadequate attic ventilation or uneven insulation can cause shingles to buckle or pop out above the other shingles, causing spaces where water can get underneath and cause damage.
- Damaged, loose or cracked gaskets or flashing—The caulking, flashing and gaskets applied around chimneys or vent stacks are always a vulnerable spot on the roof. These areas need to be checked regularly to ensure they are still water-tight because these are primary leak locations. If you notice any damage, cracking or leaking, call our roof repair services team.
- Home age—As mentioned previously, if your home is reaching age 20 or more, it is important to have your roof checked, even if you do not see any of these signs of damage. 25 years is about the top lifespan of most roofs.
Don’t take the hard work your roof does for you for granted! Be proactive if you notice any of these signs of roof damage, or if your roof is nearing the end of its natural lifespan. Acting quickly can save you more expense from further water damage in other areas of your home! Call Affordable Quality Roofing at 703-794-8513 for any roofing replacement or roof repair services!